I’m still trying to make money out of 3G. Now they say I must invest in 4G.
Anonymous Mobile Operator
How much is African 4G spectrum worth?
The African market still accounts for less than 1% of global 4G subscriptions, a puny contribution that belies the continent’s potential for 4G services. The year 2016 will be a year of transformation for African 4G, with the most important phase of spectrum sales since the 2G licensing era – which generated around $10bn.
Over the next 18 months, markets from Egypt to South Africa, Nigeria, Senegal and others will sell or seek to value a trove of 4G frequencies that will pave the way for next generation digital services. And yet, even as they seek to precisely assess the value of the 4G spectrum on offer, buyers and sellers alike have surprisingly few independent tools for intra-African spectrum transaction benchmarking and value analysis.
The Xalam Africa 4G Spectrum Value Report provides such a tool. Get our extensive 3G and 4G Africa transaction and benchmark value table; see why we say that 4G spectrum is valued higher than 3G in Africa; why we argue that operator 3G spectrum returns were terrible, but operators still need to take the leap into 4G despite the prices; what value ranges we put on 4G spectrum in South Africa, Nigeria, Egypt and other markets; why we say that for some operators, the spectrum assets are more valuable than their business operations, and more.
Download Detailed Table of Contents here – Xalam Analytics Africa 4G Report – Web ToC
- VALUING AFRICAN 4G SPECTRUM
- KEY QUESTIONS EXPLORED
- WHAT EXACTLY IS IN THIS REPORT?
- HOW MUCH IS IT & HOW DO I GET IT?
The outcome is an in-depth assessment of the value of various 4G bands in African markets and offers a qualitative and quantitative framework for estimating 4G spectrum value in the African context. In addition, the report provides projected value ranges for upcoming and/or anticipated 4G spectrum auctions, including for markets such as Nigeria, South Africa, Egypt and Senegal.
Further, the report explores a range of issues related to 3G and 4G spectrum, from the business feasibility of 4G at current spectrum value points to the future of so-called spectrum asset companies.
- What is the state of 4G LTE rollout on the African continent? Which spectrum bands dominate?
- Which bands are proving the most valuable in the African context? What is the TDD/FDD split?
- Which African markets have generated in the most in spectrum proceeds?
- What are the key drivers of 4G spectrum value in Africa?
- How does African 4G spectrum value compare to 3G? 2G?
- Why is African 4G spectrum valued higher than 3G spectrum?
- Should the 2.6GHz band be valued as 4G, or as FWA?
- How does African 4G spectrum value compares to 4G transactions in Western Europe?
- What is the estimated value of South Africa’s 4G spectrum (2.6GHz, 700MHz, 800MHz)?
- What is the estimated value of Nigeria’s 4G spectrum (2.6GHz, 700MHz, 800MHz)?
- Did Nigeria get fair value for the 700 MHz sold to MTN Nigeria?
- What is the fair value for upcoming 4G transactions in Senegal, Egypt?
- Did investments in 3G spectrum pay off?
- Are investments in 4G spectrum, at current price points worth it, given the business challenge of monetizing data?
- Who are Africa’s spectrum 4G plays (companies whose primary value lies with their spectrum assets), and are they likely to sell?
- And more.
Supported by 85 Charts & Valuation Visuals
Summary Africa 4G Transaction Table (including buyer, value, MHz sold, MHz/Pop/Year, etc.)
50 Charts with underlying chart data in Excel format – (Premium Pack Only)
Africa 2G/3G/4G Transaction Table, in Excel Pivot Table Format (Including value, buyer, MHz, $/MHz/Pop/Year, Internet Contribution to Revenue, GDP per Capita, etc.) – – (Premium Pack Only)
Key Sections of the report are below. Please download Report Summary for detailed table of contents and full list of exhibits and charts here: Xalam Analytics Africa 4G Report – Web ToC
1. 4G IN AFRICA: AN OVERVIEW
2. AFRICA SPECTRUM OVERVIEW: WITH 4G, THE THIRD WAVE OF SPECTRUM IS HERE
3. PARAMETERS OF VALUATION, OUR BENCHMARK SAMPLE AND DRIVERS OF VALUE
4. A VISUAL MAPPING OF AFRICA’S 3G AND 4G VALUATION
5. VALUE ANALYSIS: THE 2100 MHZ (3G) BAND
6. VALUE ANALYSIS: 800 MHZ BAND – THE RESURRECTION OF A BAND
7. VALUE ANALYSIS: THE 2.6 GHZ BAND – BETWEEN 4G AND FWA VALUATION
8. MAKING THE CASE: WAS AFRICAN 3G WORTH THE MONEY?
9. MAKING THE CASE: IS AFRICAN 4G WORTH THE MONEY?
10. A BENCHMARK VALUATION OF UPCOMING 4G SPECTRUM SALES
10.1. BREAKING DOWN OUR BENCHMARK VALUATION APPROACH
10.2. VALUING NIGERIA’S 2.6GHZ SPECTRUM
10.3. NIGERIA: SCANNING THE 700 MHZ SALE TO MTN NIGERIA – HOW MUCH IS IT REALLY WORTH?
10.4. HOW MUCH FOR SOUTH AFRICA’S 4G SPECTRUM?
10.5. SENEGAL – A SQUABBLE OVER 4G SPECTRUM VALUE
10.6. EGYPT 4G LICENCE – ONCE AGAIN LOOKING TO BE AFRICA’S HIGHEST VALUATION
11. Africa’s 4G Spectrum Plays: Visafone, Smile Communications, Intercellular and Others
Africa 4G Spectrum Licensing Table
LTE FDD Band Table
LTE TDD Band Table
A Standard Version – $1,500
1-5 Users Licence
Report Delivered in PDF Format – Including:
Including 85 Charts & Valuation Visuals
Summary Africa 4G Transaction Table (PDF, including buyer, value, MHz sold, MHz/Pop/Year)
A Premium Version – $2,000
Package delivered in Winzip, Box, or Dropbox, including:
Report in PDF – 120 pages
85 Charts & Valuation Visuals
50 Charts with underlying chart data in Excel format
Africa 2G/3G/4G Transaction Table, in Excel Pivot Table Format (Including value, buyer, MHz, $/MHz/Pop/Year, Internet Contribution to Revenue, GDP per Capita, etc.)
Purchase by Credit Card or Invoicing (Corporate Only Please) – Please contact [email protected] or call +1 617 953 7259 for more information.